Medical laboratory assistant certification
The society's certification program validates that an individual has attained a recognized level of standards and training through BCSLS approved educational institutions.
To obtain BCSLS certification you have two options:
1. BCSLS reviews applications from public and private colleges, to determine whether their MLA programs meet BCSLS Competency Guidelines. Graduates of the below approved programs can apply for BCSLS certification after graduation.
- VCC - Vancouver Community College
- Camosun College
- West Coast College of Health Care
- Stenberg College
- MTI – (Graduated before 2018)
- CDI College (campus specific)
- Vancouver Career College
- Thompson Rivers University
- Saskatchewan Polytechnic
2. Successfully write the challenge exam through OSMT. Once you have this, you can apply for BCSLS certification. You will need to supply us with a copy of your OSMT certificate.
BCSLS certification: Once you have a diploma from one of the above institutions or an OSMT certificate then apply for BCSLS Certification. Apply from our Membership page.
Note: CSMLS certification for MLA’s does not have an ECG component that BC requires to work - so anyone wanting BC certification should consider getting certified through BCSLS instead of or as well as CSMLS.
mla certification vs membership
BCSLS MLA Certification is a one-time process in which we validates that an individual has attained a recognized level of standards and training through BCSLS approved educational institutions. Certification application is $89. You will need to email proof by sending in a copy of our MLA diploma or OSMT MLA certificate.
BCSLS MLA Membership is renewed each year for a 12 month period. Membership has many benefits: Leadership opportunities, significant discounts on educational seminars and Congress, the right to vote at the Annual General Meeting and hold elected office with BCSLS. Membership is $85 annually.
MLA Professional Liability Insurance: MLAs who are current BCSLS members (annual renewal) and are also BCSLS certified are entitled to professional liability insurance.
Apply for certification or membership from our Membership page.