Working in a BC Lab

Working in BC as a Lab Professional


Working in BC as a Medical Laboratory Technologist or as a Medical Laboratory Assistant

Health Match BC is a free health professional recruitment service funded by the government of British Columbia, Canada. Their role is to provide preliminary information that will steer you in the right direction; ensuring you have the employment requirements necessary for eligibility to practice in British Columbia. They will also assist you by providing information regarding prospective employers within the Health Authorities.  For more information contact: Catherine Omueti - Recruitment Associate, Allied Health Services Health Match BC - 604.736.5920 ext. 360     www.healthmatchbc.org

Membership_WorkingInALab_MLT (2).jpg

Medical Laboratory Technologist

*** The BC Ministry of Health and the BCSLS are moving towards a new self-regulating college for the approximately 8,500 diagnostic and therapeutic health professionals in British Columbia, including Medical Laboratory Technologists and will become fully functional by Late 2018.

You can become a member of BCSLS, regardless of your MLT Certification process.  

To work as a MLT in BC you must be certified to work. Employers require certification from CSMLS. www.csmls.org/Certification/Certification-Process.aspx  

They will tell you that you have two options…

  1. MLT program from a Canadian recognized college – In BC that is BCIT (BC Institute of Technology) or CNC (College of New Caledonia)
  2. Write the challenge exam through CSMLS which includes applying for PLA (Prior Learning Assessment).

For more information about CSMLS certification, contact Lorna Zilic: Manager, Certification & Prior Learning Assessment,  905-528-8642 ext. 8681

MLT Mentoring Programs

1. JVS  Become an Online Mentor:  How good would it be for you, a person with expertise in the medical laboratory industry, to be the one person who could make a difference in the life of an internationally trained individual?  Imagine what must it be like to be a skilled MLT, new to Canada, looking for work and not be connected?  

2. S.U.C.C.E.S.S - Make a difference in your profession for only a few hours a year.  Consider being a Mentor to help foreign-trained professional immigrants in the same field understand the local market of their original profession and develop their local professional local network.  For more information on SUCCESS click here.

Membership_WorkingInALab_MLA (2).jpg

medical laboratory assistant

*** The BC Ministry of Health and the BCSLS are moving towards a new self-regulating college for the approximately 8,500 diagnostic and therapeutic health professionals in British Columbia, Once the new college has been substantially implemented (late 2018), the ministry will continue its work on regulatory options for a number of other diagnostic and therapeutic health care occupations, including Medical Laboratory Assistants.

To work as an MLA in BC right now (things will change as we are moving forward to create a regulatory college), it is not regulated that you have to be certified through us, BCSLS.  This means that you could go out and find a job without BCSLS certification (education is up to the employer)…BUT…in reality many employers do ask that you are provincially certified.  

BCSLS membership (different from certification) is easily received by just registering.  You can do so from the membership webpage

Current BCSLS members (annual renewal; no exams) who are also BCSLS certified (one-time fee) are entitled to professional liability insurance.   BCSLS and OSMT have partnered with LMS PROLINK to deliver an enhanced Professional Liability Insurance program for BCSLS certified members.  

PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY - This type of coverage protects you against liability or damages due to allegations of a negligent act, error, omission or malpractice arising from your profession as a Medical Laboratory Assistant and within your scope of practice including delegated acts communicated by a Laboratory or Medical Practitioner. For more information, click here.

Apply for certification or membership from our Membership page.

BCSLS reviews applications from public and private colleges, to determine whether their MLA programs meet BCSLS Competency Guidelines.  Graduates of approved programs can apply for BCSLS certification after graduation.

To obtain certification through us, you have two options.

  1. Attend an MLA program at one of the below recognized colleges 

       2. Successfully write the challenge exam through OSMT (Ontario Society)  or Phone: (416) 485-6768.  Once you have this certification, you can apply for BCSLS certification.  You will need to supply us with a copy of your OSMT certificate.

 BCSLS certification:  Once you have a diploma from one of the above colleges or an OSMT certificate then apply for BCSLS Certification.   

Note:  CSMLS certification for MLA’s does not have an ECG component that BC requires to work - so anyone wanting BC certification should consider getting certified through BCSLS instead of or as well as CSMLS.  

technician image.jpg

medical laboratory technician

Medical Laboratory Technicians (not Technologist) - We are aware that in Eastern Canada there are medical lab technicians.  BC does not recognize this designation.  You will need to upgrade to a Medical Lab Technologist or find work as an Medical Lab Assistant.