Medical Laboratory Assistants
Medical laboratory assistant certification
The society's certification program validates that an individual has attained a recognized level of standards and training through BCSLS approved educational institutions.
To obtain BCSLS certification you have two options:
1. BCSLS reviews applications from public and private colleges, to determine whether their MLA programs meet BCSLS Competency Guidelines. Graduates of the below approved programs can apply for BCSLS certification after graduation.
- VCC - Vancouver Community College
- Camosun College
- West Coast College of Health Care
- Stenberg College
- MTI – (Graduated before 2018)
- CDI College (Burnaby) & Vancouver Career College (Abbottsford)
- Thompson Rivers University
- Saskatchewan Polytechnic
2. Successfully write the MLA certification exam with OSMT (Ontario Society). Once you have this, you can apply for BCSLS certification.
If you are interested in writing the OSMT Medical Laboratory Assistant exam you would have to qualify through the ‘Special Consideration’ application process. More information can be found below:
- Certification and Exam information: http://www.osmt.org/Apps/Pages/exam-information
- Canadian trained individuals: Click here
- Internationally trained individuals: https://www.osmt.org/Apps/Pages/foreign-trained
- Please note that the exams are in English so it is your responsibility to ensure that your English Language abilities are good enough to write the exam. There is no English test for you to take to ensure your Language Standards for this exam.
BCSLS certification: Once you have a diploma from one of the above institutions or an OSMT certificate then apply for BCSLS Certification.
Note: CSMLS certification for MLA’s does not have an ECG component that BC requires to work - so anyone wanting BC certification should consider getting certified through BCSLS instead of or as well as CSMLS.
If you have misplaced your BCSLS MLA certificate then you will need to apply for another one. $15.
mla certification vs membership
BCSLS MLA Certification is a one-time process in which we validate that an individual has attained a recognized level of standards and training through BCSLS approved educational institutions. Certification application is $89. You will need to email proof by sending in a copy of our MLA diploma or OSMT MLA certificate.
BCSLS MLA Membership is renewed each year for a 12 month period. Membership has many benefits: Leadership opportunities, significant discounts on educational seminars and Congress, the right to vote at the Annual General Meeting and hold elected office with BCSLS. Membership is $85 annually.
MLA Professional Liability Insurance
Medical Laboratory Assistants who are current BCSLS members (annual renewal) and are also BCSLS certified are entitled to professional liability insurance.
Some level of uncertainty is present in all lab work. But your professional status is NOT dependent on random variables.
PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY - As a Medical Laboratory Assistant, you’re aware that contamination, experimental errors, random errors or even human errors can happen at any time during sample processing or analysis. And that’s despite taking all of the proper precautions. Unfortunately, in your profession, a mistake can pose a great risk. That’s because a doctor’s treatment plan relies on your findings. This type of coverage protects you against liability or damages due to allegations of a negligent act, error, omission or malpractice arising from your profession as a Medical Laboratory Assistant and within your scope of practice including delegated acts communicated by a Laboratory or Medical Practitioner. For more information, click here
MLT Students applying for Temporary phlebotomy certification
We have suspended the phlebotomy certification for MLT students, pending further review.